Sunday, January 28, 2007

retreat and reflect.

com·fort [kuhm-fert]

verb
1. to soothe, console or reassure; to bring cheer to
2. to make physically comfortable


noun
1. relief in affliction; consolation; solace

so i've been thinking...

what is this "thing" inside of us that craves comfort? in times of emotional distress or a general sense of feeling overwhelmed, why do we retreat to that which is comfortable? is it possible to be comfortable in one arena of our lives, but not the others?

comfort goes beyond the tangible. yes, we can be physically comfortable...but what about in our emotions? our social situations? our environment?

why do we reach a point where all we desire is to feel comforted...to feel safe...to feel protected?

looking in my concordance, i found 114 references in the Bible to some version of the word 'comfort'....either as an action or gift from above in some form or fashion. Some of the stand-outs:

As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you... - Isaiah 66:13

My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life... - Psalm 119:50

May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant... - Psalm 119:76

What does this speak of our desire for comfort...and more importantly, the source of our consolation?

i think it will take me a very long time to figure this one out...if ever on this side of Heaven. in the meantime, i am retreating and finding those sacred places of comfort knowing that there's Someone waiting for me.

No comments: