Saturday, November 11, 2006

predictions and poetry.


as predicted, my walk back from the coffee shop was indeed pleasant and peppered with little moments that reminded me of why i needed a day such as this.

stopping off at the bookshop on franklin street, i spent a good amount of time perusing the poetry section until i found the right billy collins collection.

flipping through, i found the following passage in a poem entitled questions about angels...and it made me smile...

if an angel delivered the mail, would he arrive
in a blinding rush of wings or would he just assume
the appearance of the regular mailman and
whistle up the driveway reading the postcards?

what a great image. makes me want to greet my mailman with a little more enthusiasm come monday morning.

and in light of my earlier post, i came across a profound thought in one of the books i am reading for my intern study program. the book investigates the idea that we are created for spiritual community and that the church has a responsibility to create such an environment of brokenness, vulnerability and shared growth...and somehow, my thoughts on loneliness are a little easier to swallow...

[...the experience of every pilgrim who honestly pursues the Lord...] the path to joy of God's presence always leads through joyless isolation, when the part of us that most longs for connection is left painfully alone. - larry crabb, the safest place on earth

2 comments:

Hanna said...

ummm.

one- i love billy collins. have for years.

two- your "long walk" post completely resonated with me. Lonely, but not alone. Glimpses of pure joy, but mostly just numb. Wanting to be the Hanna i used to be. blaaah. i don't think i have to explain myself-- i think you know.

love you.

Hanna said...

oh ps. this is hanna. incase the johanna threw you off. i have no idea where it got johanna. :)