Thursday, December 7, 2006

still dancing.

i have a small painting hanging in my apartment. it's a small flower with the words: "i get up. i walk. i fall down. meanwhile, i keep dancing."

i see this painting everyday. it has been hanging in my various places of residence over the past few years. it has only been within the past few weeks that this simple statement has had any meaning in my life.

i spoke with my good friend katie s. the other night. besides the fact that i adore her and our candid conversations, she gave me a profound thought i have spent some time working through and through...

"i am still tripping and stumbling through life and that's OK."

being a visual person (the whole art-major-thing should speak to this...), i quite enjoy any image i can glean from conversations. and i immediately saw myself walking down a sidewalk, tripping, falling forward, catching myself and then laughing my head off as i continued on my journey.

it feels good to laugh at myself. it feels good to give myself some grace every once in a while.

why can't i?

seriously...what is it that makes us so hard on ourselves? why can't we take a few stumbles in stride, realize it's a part of life, laugh and enjoy the walk?

"i need Your grace to remind me to find my own." - snow patrol

i am close to entering into my 25th year of life. why the pressure to have it all together? it's self-induced, that's for sure. that's part of the journey, right? navigating this crazy path full of moments designed to trip us up...reasons to duck for cover...forks in the road...slippery, unsteady steps...

i am learning to delight in the things i don't know. in the things that force me to slow down. in the things that throw me a little off course.

whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'this is the way; walk in it...' - isaiah 30:21

something tells me that walk wasn't without a few moments of humility...

i want to be fully used by Him.

that means tripping, falling down, rolling over, looking up at the sky, laughing at myself and saying, "ok, God...i get it...do with me what You will...even if that means looking like a fool from time to time..."

No comments: